Learning to use your full potential in hitting may be easier than you think. Be mindful you are hitting real people when you do and never give more than it is necessary to get the job done.
Drills to bring out the heavy hands the easy way:
- Stand straight and take 60 calm breaths to raise your hands overhead from your sides while keeping them loose and another 60 to let go of the tension that you used to bring them up.
(Be mindful to let the forearms move freely and rotate according to the mass shifting while the angles of the arm changes. Feel the flux of the blood in your arms as the angle changes and returns to the original. Within this comes great inner awareness.)
- Stand a step and a half from the wall and lean on it with your hands or fists. Raise one fist at a time by moving your body and let them rest softly back on the wall. Continue to lean your elbows on the wall and moving the same way. Continue to lean your shoulders on the wall and move them the same way and combine the three attention points to allow your smooth motion to come forth.
- Lie down on your back and raise both fists in the air. Move them in small circles and ellipses and let the feeling of torque and added mass from the small motions and allow yourself to move just as much as needed and no more.
- Stand next to a wall or a partner and place your focus on the elbow or shoulder. Start to move the fist from the focal point and make contact with the partner with the elbow or shoulder still in motion so you avoid pressing and learn to sink in where there is no resistance.
- Tense up your face and focus your eyes on a fixed point and then let the tension go and remember the change from tense and focused to relaxed and free.