Your leg is caught by your opponent and you try to pull it back. Your arms are caught by two tall smelly guys in an alley and you try to squirm free. You are caught first in your mind.
Let us reverse engineer this paradigm into something that works a shorter route with less derailment of trying to defeat your attacker. I ask for two things.
- Forget the word caught. Think of any position you are in as a place to develop from.
- You have a mind. A machine will answer a question but you can ask questions.
Now let us put this into play.
- Let your hand be held by a standing partner. Check how you can move without tension in the rest of your body and see how moving one part affects the structural alignment.
- Let your hand be held by a moving partner. Check the same parameters in the added motion and see how your movement can merge in the partners to a combined affect.
- Let your hand be held by a standing partner. Move your free parts starting with your breath and eyes to strike continuously at least ten different times and repeat while moving.
- Let your hand be held by a standing partner. Move your free parts with your held part used to your advantage as an anchor to enhance the movements affect. Repeat on the move.
- Let your leg be held by a standing partner. Check how your body and especially your grounded foot move on the ground and on your partner. Repeat on the move and have a good laugh as you do.
- Let your legs be held by one or two partners standing over you. Check how you can move without increasing tension and how your hips can radiate movement without increasing the tension in your legs.
- Let your legs be held by one or two partners standing over you. Move your body to affect one partner on the other or if you are working with one partner, Work to load their bodies with your mass by feeling with your legs where they are tense and riding these sinks of tension.
- Let your body or neck be held by a partner and remember you are mortal so do not snap your own neck. Relax your breath and eyes and let your body move where it feels free and check how to move the feeling of freedom through the body while being held. Repeat this game on the ground and standing and in between.