Coordination and coordination under pressure are related sets of skills.
I was playing with my son Gideon and together we came up with a set of drills for coordination under pressure.
Here is the progression.
- Stand and hold a tennis ball in your hand. Throw it from rib height to eye height along with your breath tempo.
- Repeat the previous drill and close your eyes. Feel before you see.
- Repeat the previous drill and hold your breath and throw and catch the ball continuously until pressure rises and a bit further.
- Have your son or anyone else stand only slightly out of reach and as you throw the ball, have them throw a ball at you. Catch it with your other hand and throw it back minding to continue your initial rhythm and your breath continuous.
- Repeat the previous drill but move out of the way of the incoming ball and return to your position as you throw it back.
- Walk with the ball in one hand and throw it as in the first drill as you walk.
- Have your son or anyone else throw the ball at you. Catch it as you move out of the way and throw it back. Keep your breath continuous and your eyes relaxed from fixating on the incoming.
- Repeat the previous drill only with more than one ball flying your way. Choose which to catch and which to avoid. Color of balls can help here.
Enjoy, Grow through play and live free.